Cast Iron Vegetable Pasta

There is a recipe that I like to have when I am feeling like something fresh and crisp, but still a hot meal.

You can use many types of vegetables but I prefer long sliced sweet peppers, sweet onions and broccoli tops.
I add the broccoli tops to the pan while it is heating to medium heat. Spray the tops, and the pan with a light mist of oil (I use a high heat canola oil) which help give them a bright green color as they heat. I heat the broccoli first as it usually requires a slightly longer cooking time. Cover for a few minutes while the pan warms and the broccoli gets slightly darkened on the underside. Add the vegetables (be cautious of steam and hot oil). If you have truffle oil, it is great with this dish.

I like the edges of the veggies to be dark and crisp. Steaming the vegetables will cause them to wilt, so keep the lid off. You are going for that dark edge that is not burnt but has a little crisp to it. Using the right temperature will give you both the edge and the veggies will still have a fresh snap to them.
This has taken some practice, and I still don't always do it they way I want. It's good that they are veggies and not cake... at least I can practice and not have too many calories.

I like to add goat cheese about 2 minutes before removing from the pan.

Serve over linguine or your choice of pasta with some grated mizithra (or parmesan) cheese and and some brown broiled garlic buttered mini baguettes.

Yum! Best served in a LiciaPot. :) Yup, I made that bowlie.

No comments: