So, it's best to brown the meat first, but not necessary. I put mine in a sizzling hot cast iron skillet with a small bit of olive oil until the meat is dark (but not burnt) on all sides. It will splatter so watch out and use a splatter shield if you have one, I used a lid to avoid the little hot splatters.
- One or two pounds of steak, cut into one inch pieces
- several large carrots, unpeeled. I used about 5 cut on the bias
- One pound of small red potatos, quartered. OR one pound of any potato in one inch pieces
- 4 stalks celery cut into half inch slices
- 1/4 to 1/2 Cup large sliced sweet onion
- 8 ounces of mushrooms, whole (okay to omit)
- 1 - 6 oz can of tomato paste (necessary)
- 1 - 12 oz can of whole peeled tomatos (san marzano if you can get them)
- 3/4 Cup beef or chicken broth (not the concentrated cubes if possible)
- 1/3 Cup red wine (I like cabernet)
- 1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 2 minced garlic cloves (I put in 4 whole cloves sometimes)
- Dried spices including, dill, basil, thyme, marjoram, cilantro, sage, oregano....be generous!
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- salt optional
It is soooo good, and makes several servings so you don't have to cook every night. It's even better on the second day.